Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Little Women

Some of my favorite childhood books were a small passages taken from the classic novel, Little Women, and turned into picture books. Two years ago, my grandmother gave me the origional book. It, to my suprise, was not a rectangle- it was a CUBE!!! Clearly intimidated by it's size and language, I packed it away.

When I picked it up again this weekend, It was just as charming and heartwarming as I remembered- sufficiently gooey reading. The story follows the four March girls as they grow up during the civil war (A comming of age story!). Friends are made as well as matches, as many old fashioned stories unwind.

The four girls all have very different personalities- and it is interesting how many readers all dislike one of the characters the most: the youngest girl, Amy. (and of course she ends up with the best match! grrr) I think that her somewhat selfish, "helpless," and haughty attitudes are what bother me so much.

I loved this book- read it over a weekend. I recomend it to most JA fans. Five stars

No comments: