Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Feed

Feed, by M. T. Anderson, is a futuristic novel that I found hauntingly familiar and plausible. In the story, the new "cell phone" is a feed, which acts as instant Internet, and all that is attached. Advertisements flood through the minds of the new world, all based on everything that they think about. Nearly everyone has a feed, and those who don't are degraded in the extreme. America's consumerism in the current stage makes this future a very possible outcome.

But in this world of feeds, there are also dangers. The feed is necessary to brain function for even the smallest things after it is attached. So what happens if it starts to malfunction? Normal boy Titus will find out as he spends time with new acquaintance Violet as her feed begins to fail.

I thought that this book was a great take on our future, but it felt like "A walk to remember" meets "Wall-e." But I also would have to say that it got me thinking. I would give this book three out of five stars.

2 comments:

Winnie. said...

Im into future things sometimes but I’ve never actually tried to read about them but this book sound pretty good especially since “a walk to remember “ is one of my favorite movie and book ever. I absolutly love that story but I’ve never seen wall-e before so I think I might try to read it.

Weston said...

Although this book does not interest me at all, I greatly enjoyed the ways to keep a healthy level of insanity, in accordance with the prophecy.